Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I'm Like One of Those Ridiculous Parents Who Has Nothing Better To Talk About.

Bose headphones should not break.
I own these. After I tell you that, my argument gains and loses momentum with each statement, but try to empathize:

Those are some expensive headphones.
I did not pay $350 for them, though. They were a gift. A used gift. A gift that not cost the giver $350, thank god. I hope no one ever wastes $350 on headphones-- especially not headphones for me. But if someone does choose to waste that kind of money on a pair of headphones, I feel as if the headphones should be able to withstand some pretty serious damage. No parts should need to replaced. Not ever.
Because those are some expensive headphones.

That said, when I got them, there were some signs of previous ownership. They were definitely of the "new... to me" category. But they were amazing headphones. Music has never been so beautiful and clear. It's how recorded music is meant to be heard. I mean that.
Months later, one of the cords shorted out. Gave up on life.
Bullshit.
My "new... to me" $350 headphones (that weren't really $350) stopped working.
The replacement cord was really some phone attachment shit and would cost me $40.
No no no.

A few months later, bose.com decided to offer the cord I needed for just $15.
Fine.
I bought it and received my replacement. My headphones work again!
I'm happy once more, even if only begrudgingly.
I love Bose, even if I really hate them.

Being poor and yet still having nice things aside, I am making the official move to Portland in the coming weeks. I am moving my whole life to pursue my music journalism website. It's gotten too big to just fly here and there to do my interviews. That shit gets expensive once you have to do it more than once every few months.

People have asked about when I get paid because of what I do.
Honestly? I have no idea. I'd like to sell ad space eventually, but not before I know what I'm doing. Once money begins being exchanged, you have to know a lot more laws about copyrights, and paying taxes, and being a business owner.
Um, I signed up to be a writer, never a marketing major, or a financial adviser, or The Man. My knowledge of tax information begins and ends at the 1040EZ. When I make friends with someone in a three-piece suit or learn some vital information regarding how to avoid prison, I will deal with moneymaking.

So since I can't measure the website's legitimacy on its income, I will measure it in its awesomeness:



We beat out MySpace, AltPress.com, Vimeo, and Weezer.com for the opportunity to premiere some new Rivers stuff on the website.
That's intense. I've seen Weezer live more times than any other musician or band in existence.
Second place has never felt like a bigger win.

No comments: