Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Listening To Butch Walker With One Fist In the Air, the Other Wrapped Around a Wine Bottle

I bought this for myself today:



My heart currently belongs to Etsy.com.
I guess my personal style is beginning to reflect the fact that I'm 67 years old.
It was $12 and exactly what I've been looking for.
I showed it to Madeline this afternoon. I told her that it is currently the only one like it. There was only one for sale.
She looked at me seriously. She grabbed my arm. She said, "Brianne. You have to buy it. Buy it. Just buy it, dude. Just buy it right now."

Madeline is weird and quirky and lovely in all the ways that I need my friends to be.
There are times when you can see her processing life. Just taking moments in.
Those used to be the times when I least understood Madeline. Now they're one of the primary reasons I adore her.

I've been drinking wine from the bottle tonight.
It's one of those nights.
An old picture found its way to me and I instinctively reached for the bottle and haven't put it down since.



Butch Walker provides the soundtrack for that relationship.
When said boy and I parted ways, "Best Thing You Never Had" became all I needed in life. And I have no idea why because the breakup was primarily my doing.
If anyone had any right to post-breakup bitterness, it certainly wasn't me.

However. The craziness did show when the green turned to red.
And he was the one who drove my ass right to the grave.

Okay, no.
That song is exactly right, word-for-word-- regardless of where we've decided to place the blame today.

Anyway.
I bought knitting needles and yarn earlier in the evening.
Every winter, I say, "I'm going to learn how to do this." And then I don't learn how to do this.
But 2008 is the year that that all changes.
2008 is the year that I learn how to knit.
I can just feel it.

1 comment:

Sara said...

First of all, I wanted to thank you for the comment you left on my blog a few days ago. :)

Second of all, I love Etsy! And, I love the cameo pendant I found on Etsy a few months ago, too.

Good luck with the knitting. I see people doing it on the metro all the time but, I just don't think my hands will ever be coordinated enough to get it together.