Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Because I Spend More Time In My Head Than Out Of It...

[Ed. Note: I'd half-intended to eventually post this as an Expose Yourself on the website, but I then found out that the person I wrote it about is an avid reader of the site. And I'm just not ready to get that honest...]


i can't find a normal video of the song, but the emphasis is on the music, not Powder.



I can't figure out what this song is really supposed to be about, which turns it into a Rorschach inkblot test for me.
I think it's about this guy who really loves this girl, despite their horrible relationship and its circumstances. They break up, he realizes that he can't live without her, and they get back together. He promises to make the love bigger than their pettiness and they try it again, only to find that he just really isn't happy with her, even though he really, really wants to be. Because he loves her.
I think that's what it's about.
... Or I could just be hanging my dirty laundry all over the Internet. It might not be about that at all.

There are few lyrics that break my heart faster than the first lines of this song.
I can't remember when it was good, moments of happiness elude.
Immediately my heart is snapped in half, and I'm along for the ride with him.

I saw Muse live on September 21st, 2006 in Vegas.
This song is proof that everything will come full circle eventually.
I can't think of anyone this song applies to more than the person who invited me to that concert.
I still get simultaneously queasy, and heartbroken, and all in love every time I hear "Hysteria".
Agh.
Muse.

"Falling Away With You" is easily one of my top ten favorite songs of all time. The only moment that I don't love it is the moment that I realize that it's ended.
Again, I could be wrong, but I think the song leads you through the whole process, from the initial breakup, through the regret, to the hope of when you get back together and know that it's going to be great, and... then you remember.
Like I said: full circle.

If I ever get to interview Matthew Bellamy, I am going to clarify what the song is about once and for all.
... Or maybe not. I have no idea what he's really talking about, so in that, he can be talking about anything-- he can be talking about exactly what I need him to be talking about. "Falling Away With You" is a blatant reminder of a lot of things for me. As I understand it, there's a lot of wisdom in the song, and I've been able to apply that wisdom to the un-patched holes and unconnected lines in my own life.

I'd really hate to have another "All Dead, All Dead" moment like I did with Queen.
When I found out that Brian May was inspired to write it after his cat died, I was a little scarred.
I love that song. A lot. It's another one of my favorite, favorite songs. And I understand the odd but real feeling of deep loss over a dead pet. But I really didn't want that song to be inspired by a cat.


but in hope i breathe...

No comments: